vendredi 27 février 2009

Well surprise, surprise, a few weeks have gone by without a post. Oops! But don't tell me you weren't expecting this type of delay from me. All is well in Senegal! I just got back from a weekend excursion with the program to Toubab Dialou, a charming little beach town south of Dakar. It was really great to get out of the city for a bit, and super fun to be with everyone on the program in a non-class setting. I had been sick for a few days before, and the trip was a fabulous departure from being bedridden.

We left Saturday morning and arrived around noon, with just enough time to explore the little resort and the beach before lunch. Our accommodations were quite lovely, everything was made of stone with seashell, glass, and mosaic accents and flowers everywhere. After lunch it was time for more beach, where I proceeded to get a nice sunburn and pick up about 10 hilarious local kids who hung around with us for the rest of the afternoon.
Everyone on the program had the option of either batik, drumming, or dance sessions, and since I'd already batiked and my sense of rhythm is horrifying, I went for the dance. Also, I'd heard that the dancers would be performing later that night and you know I never miss a chance for public embarrassment. The dance class was really fun and we learned a great little routine--it was no Beyoncé, but hey, this is Senegal.
After dinner that night the resort put on a little show for its guests with traditional drumming and dancing. Clearly because of my expertise of the art form, my dance skills were showcased prominently during the student exposition section.
When it was finally time to return to Dakar, we packed into our buses and tucked in for the ride. We had conveniently brought ipod speakers, so we spent the 2 1/2 hours on the road belting out the classic tunes of Celine Dion, ABBA, and Journey as the countryside rolled by. By "we," I mostly mean me, and by "countryside rolled by" I mean the rest of the bus was embarrassed by how many lyrics I knew.

Anyways, it was a great weekend, and I have more travels coming up that I will (hopefully) blog about soon. I'm headed to the desert tomorrow, and in a week I'm going on spring break to the mountains in Guinea!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire